One Way Link

Screen Resolution Issues on Ubuntu 7.0.4 (Feisty Fawn).

When I installed Ubuntu a few weeks back I was unable to select my resolution and made do with another one – it wasn’t perfect but it was ok. So anyway, I had to reinstall Ubuntu after the boot loader was removed after I had to reformat the Windows partition. I thought it was the easiest thing to do, plus I had no files of importance on Ubuntu.

I reinstalled Ubuntu 7.0.4 (Feisty Fawn) and once again I was unable to select my resolution, so I headed over to the Ubuntu support forums. I have to say the help given from fellow forum members was great! I received help extremely quickly. I have heard many people go on about how good Ubuntu Support is however I had never really experienced it properly myself but now I have and I have to say, it is top notch.

Just in case anyone else if having trouble selecting their resolution on Ubuntu 7.0.4 here is how I solved my problem.

I went into Terminal and typed –sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh

You will most probably have to enter you Administrator password, so do that then press ENTER. Once you have done that you will be displayed with a number of different drivers and as I am using an ATI Graphics Card I need to use the Vesa driver, not the ATI one. I am not entirely sure why but I believe the Vesa works better. So, select your driver then press enter. Once you have done that you will then be displayed with a number of different resolution, you need to press CTRL on all of the Resolutions you want available to you (you will know when you have selected it as there will be a star next to each resolution) and then press enter. Once you have done that you will probably end up back at the terminal window. You then need to press CTRL + Alt + Backspace together to restart the Xserver. Then when you visit the Screen Resolution options you will then be able to select a number of different resolution.

Please bear in mind that this is not official support, it is purely something that worked for me on Ubuntu 7.0.4.

My thread can be found here.

63 Responses to “Screen Resolution Issues on Ubuntu 7.0.4 (Feisty Fawn).”

• Aidan says:

Glad to see that it helped you Archan πŸ™‚ .

• henry says:

Worked great for me too. Thank you for the tip!

• Sgt C says:

This trick worked for me as well. Thanks for the help!

• openkimono says:

Finally! A fix that doesn’t require a pile of gyrations to find and hand edit X Server configs. Worked perfectly. Not only was I able to add to my resolution options, I was able to switch over to to the proper driver set for NVIDIA to achieve a crisper picture as well. Thank you, sir!

• Michael says:

Nice to find this thread.
    I have the same issue but it isn’t resolving so easily.
    I’ve re-set the screen resolutions in xorg and ‘starred’ them up to 1440×1050.
    The card is an oldish S3-Virge 3D unit and I’ve set the S3-Virge drivers in the configure GUI.
    I’m using Feisty. Why can’t I get that Gnome Control window up? I still have the same one as in Edgy, and even now it still only displays 800×600 and lower.
    Sorry about the rant.
    Help appreciated.
    Michael.

• Aidan says:

Hi Michael, thanks for your comments.

If I am truly honest I am not completely sure what you mean by Gnome Control window. What should be displayed in it? (If you know that is).

The only other reason that I can think for your problems with regards screen resolution is that the card isn’t supported particularly well. It might be worth searching around for your card and seeing what driver is best to use with it… If you can find out what the basis of the card is like nVIDIA or ATi or whatever then you may stand a bit more chance.

• Michael says:

Thank you for the reply, Aidan.
    Things are fine now with Feisty nVidia card and vesa drivers. All screen resolutions accepted up to 1400×1050.
    Here’s another poser. I have a hard drive with Edgy on it which I’d hate to lose, but I stuffed up with xorg trying to get better video playback quality and everything loads up then goes to a white screen. I can hear the drums beat for the login , and I’ve tried my login and password, but still can’t get off the white screen. (of course)
    Come to think of it, that was with trying the nVidia card with the latest nVidia drivers, not the vesa ones.
    Thanks for this quiet but helpful board, A.
    Michael.

• Michael says:

Back again! No need to worry…….(?) All fixed on both boxes. Phew!! Especially the Edgy one.
    I am just amazed how different combos work and others don’t.
    The Edgy install GDM couldn’t fire up with the nVidia card with nVidia drivers. I’m using now an old ATI card with ATI drivers, which was HOPELESS in the Feisty box. It is brilliant in this one. No movie stutter, etc.
    I’d tried Ubuntu Forums who are usually fantastic helpers but the message I was getting was that I’d killed the Edgy install and would have to start all over.
    Just reading the entries on this board got me out of the fog and thinking a bit more clearly. Thanks to all.
    Michael.

• Mayank says:

Thanks a lot. The solution worked like a charm πŸ™‚

• […] (serΓ­a una buena excusa para moverme al 7.10 el gibson, creo) asi que urgeteando un poco encontre este link, donde explican como […]

• aboyon says:

ey! thanks a lot, this post was very usefull to solve my resolution issue, this post win a space in my blog, (of course refering you πŸ™‚ )

Thanks a lot again!

• Ben says:

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me out.
    I have an LG LW40 Express notebook which I recently installed Ubuntu 7.04 on. As seems to be a common problem, I too only have one screen resoulution (lower than native). I went into Terminal and typed
    -sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg -phigh
    however, after re-starting xterm, Ubuntu stopped loading, due to graphs properties not being set up correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Vineet says:

This information was really helpful. It increased the resolution for my monitor (HP L1950), but the view got shifted towards left by about an inch and on right side of the screen a black vertical strip same width is appearing. Can anybody help?

1 2